Irvine’s farmlands were planned here

James H Irvine Office Photo courtesy of the Irvine Historical Society.
Photo courtesy of the Irvine Historical Society.

From this small office, James H. Irvine transformed the Irvine Ranch from grazing land to farmland. He dug more than 1,000 wells and planted more than 34,000 acres with everything from lima beans, to sugar beets, to walnuts, to oranges. He worked in this building from 1892 to 1929 and only moved when his family built him a new office while he was on a trip in Australia. The building, now restored, stands at the Irvine Ranch Historic Park.