Did you know that Culver Drive – the backbone of Irvine – is named for a man whose own backbone was so disabled he was called Humpy? Fred Culver suffered from severe kyphosis, the condition of someone called a hunchback. Yet he farmed 3,000 acres with his 30-mule team and in 1910 built this home with a water tower that could be seen from Tustin. Today it would be the intersection of the 5 Freeway and Culver Drive, but then it was the crossroads of Trabuco Road, Highway 101 and Culver Road – known to all as Culver’s Corner.
The legendary farmer of Culver’s Corner
More from Irvine Standard
In 1923, aviator Eddie Martin leased a patch of The Irvine Ranch to open Orange County’s first airport. He offered …
As Irvine celebrates its 50th birthday, it’s a reason to remember Pereira, whose creativity helped guarantee the city’s quality of …
Many Irvine street names provide a glimpse into our past. For instance, Jamboree Road was built and named for the …
After 50 years, early Irvine Company planner Al Treviño calls Irvine “a resounding success.”