THE FORWARD-LOOKING Irvine Master Plan is an extraordinary document. It opens with these words: “What we unfold here are plans, carefully and expensively wrought plans, for a totally new city. We call it the City of Irvine.”
It goes on to describe, in detail, what will make Irvine such a unique and remarkable place to live, work, go to school and raise a family.
Its words and profound vision leap off the page. Here’s why: When early Irvine Company planners decided 60 years ago to create a city around a University of California campus, there was no development or infrastructure to support a city on the historic Irvine Ranch. They were proposing a fully functioning city – entirely from scratch.
In this Special Edition, we look at 10 ways this audacious plan has been, and is being, realized – resulting in the quality of life residents enjoy today.
1. Irvine was planned to be a city of intellect
2. As a city of villages, Irvine makes life easier
3. Irvine has more parks and open space
4. Irvine’s retail centers deliver resort-like experiences
5. Irvine’s residents are healthy, happy and fit
6. Irvine attracts big brands and lots of jobs
7. Irvine is a hub of arts and culture in OC
8. Irvine’s architecture is timeless
9. Irvine’s early attention to infrastructure pays off
10. Irvine residents live in America’s safest city